Some groups suggest interfering even more with the climate instead of stopping greenhouse gas emissions:
- by reducing solar radiation, for instance by releasing chemicals at a high altitude (SRM),
- by removing excess CO2 from the atmosphere (CDR).
Is this the miracle solution, which will allow us to continue our current life style without changing anything ?
NO, because :
- the risks of geoengingeering technics are very high. Some SRM technics could alter rain patterns, for instance the monsoon.
- if we had to stop SRM (for instance because of pollution), the temperature would increase very rapidly to what it would have been without SRM (rapport 1 du GIEC § E.8)
- the ocean will remain too acid
Luckily, there is a simple method to remove excess CO2: plant trees !